Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cheeseburger, cheeseburger!



I have been wanting to make this cake for a long time. So what better opportunity to make this than for my good buddy Toby's birthday. Toby, I might add, recently bought a meat grinder and has been on a mission to create the perfect burger. I have first dibs (or so I like to tell myself).



This isn't your typical fondant covered cake construction and took some planning but once I had an idea about how to attack this, it was pretty smooth sailing.

For those wondering, I started by making three 6 inch layers of chocolate cake. I tinted fondant for the cheese, lettuce and buns. I formed the lettuce and cheese a day ahead so they would stiffen some to keep their shape. Assembly included wrapping two layers of cake in brown fondant, adding a little frosting, adding the cheese and lettuce, adding a little more frosting and topping the whole thing with the other bun. Presto!

This was a fun project and I was hoping to get a picture of Toby eating it like a real cheeseburger but alas, he was kind and cut pieces for everyone.

*Cheeseburger cake: Chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream frosting, covered and decorated with marshmallow fondant.

No comments:

Post a Comment